1. Do you ask discussion questions that promote critical thinking?
2. Do you engage students in different types of discussion activities?
3. Do you clearly explain your expectations?
4. Do you provide exemplary and poor discussion post examples to students?
5. Do you handle desirable and undesirable discussion behaviors effectively?
6. Do you engage in the discussions with students?
7. Do you encourage students to provide constructive feedback to peers?
8. Do you encourage students to respond to peer comments/questions?
9. Do you have a plan for assessing the online discussion?
10. Do you provide prompt, specific, and personalized feedback to students?
Excerpted from the supplemental materials for the online seminar titled How to Design and Facilitate Online Discussions that Improve Student Learning and Engagement?