Blended Learning Course Design:
Blended courses combine the best pedagogical practices of two teaching methods—online and face-to-face instruction.
If you have considered converting a traditional course into a blended course, you have probably asked, “What should happen before, during, and after class?” It is an important question to consider because your answer will determine how you spend class time, how students are introduced to course content, and what opportunities they will have to work with new ideas and information.
In Blended Learning Course Design: A Boot Camp for Instructors you will answer these questions and make an informed decision about what should happen before, during, and after class. Through this process, you will:
- Take one of your existing face-to-face courses and convert it into a blended format
- Feel comfortable and confident with the technology so that IT becomes an aid rather than a barrier to communicating with your students
- Learn the most pedagogically effective ways to blend instructional technology, course content, and course activities to promote interaction of students with each other, the instructor, and the content
- Course design principles
- Pedagogical considerations
- Technology how-to’s
- Student engagement strategies
Modeling blended design
This workshop is designed for Instructors who plan to convert a traditional face-to-face course into a blended course. As such, it is modeled as a blended course with work being done before, during, and after the session.
Before attending, participants will access a Learning Management System, view four “20 Minute Mentor” videos (listed below), and complete a Teaching Goals Inventory that will be referred to during the workshop.
At the F2F event, sessions will alternate between individual work, small-group work, and whole-group discussions. There will be an opportunity for participants to meet one-on-one with a facilitator to help plan the course design. Each participant will also receive a 50-page workbook to focus and guide you, step-by-step, through the process.
After the workshop you will work the plan you created to create a blended course and have access to the LMS to foster discussions with colleagues as you develop and teach your new course.
Participants will leave the two-day workshop with:
- A better understanding of how to manage the three phases of a blended learning cycle: before, during, and after class
- The ability to create a syllabus for a blended course
- Ideas on how to organize their own LMS for a blended course
- A greater familiarity with technology tools and how they can support learning
- An outline of the work that they need to do before launching their blended course
Included 20 Minute Mentor programs
Participants will receive the Blended Learning 4-pack, which includes the following four “20 Minute Mentor” videos—a $299 value— that should be viewed prior to the live presentation:
- What Is Blended Learning?
- In Blended Courses, What Should Students Do Online?
- Should I Use ADDIE as a Design Map for My Blended Course?
- What Three Things Could I Do To Improve my Blended Course?
What to bring
- Syllabus from the course that will be redesigned
- Completed Teaching Goals Inventory
100% satisfaction guarantee
The Teaching Professor stands behind every course and program it offers. If you are not completely satisfied after attending this event, let us know and we will send you a full, hassle-free refund.
Like all of The Teaching Professor offerings, Blended Learning Course Design: A Boot Camp for Instructors tackles a central issue for today’s higher education professionals who strive to improve the quality and satisfaction of their work.